Crossing boundaries: Rethinking European architecture beyond Europe
Palermo, 13-16 April 2014
The International network “European Architecture beyond Europe: Sharing Research and Knowledge on Dissemination Processes, Historical Data and Material Legacy (19th-20th centuries)”, chaired by Mercedes Volait and Johan Lagae, and supported by EC funding through the COST Action IS0904 (2010-2014), is holding its final conference in Palermo (Rettorato dell’Università degli Studi di Palermo, Palazzo Chiaramonte Steri ), 13-16 April, 2014.
The conference includes a general session presenting the achievements and future prospects of the network, and the following panels:
– Session 1. Methods and methodologies: Writing the histories of European imperial/colonial architecture, chaired by Alex Bremner (Edinburgh School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture) and JoAnne Mancini (National University of Ireland Maynooth)
– Session 2. Architectures of exile: Visions and re-Visions of the global modern in the age of the refugee, chaired by Regina Göckede (Brandenburgische Technische Universitaet, Cottbus) and Rachel Lee (Technische Universität Berlin)
– Session 3. Looking eastward, building identities: The architecture of European diplomacy beyond the Mediterranean in the age of Empire chaired by Paolo Girardelli (Boğaziçi University) and Mercedes Volait (CNRS/INHA)
– Session 4. Transnational studies and cultural transfers, chaired by Kathleen James-Chakraborty (University College Dublin)
– Session 5. Architecture as development aid. Actors, networks and mechanisms in the design of institutional buildings in the postcolonial global South, chaired by Kim De Raedt (University of Ghent’s Faculty of Engineering & Architecture) & Tom Avermaete (Delft University of Technology)
– Session 6. Examining Tropical Architecture: in different international contexts, chaired by Ola Uduku (Edinburgh School of Architecture and Landscape Architecture) and Iain Jackson (The Liverpool School of Architecture)
The keynote speech will be delivered by Dr. Sibel Zandi-Sayek, The College of William and Mary,
Williamsburg, Virginia, USA, Remapping the Geographies of Industrial Enterprise: Ottoman-British Networks and the Architectural Canon
An invited lecture will be delivered by Dr. Lukasz Stanek, Manchester Architecture Research Centre, School of Environment & Development, University of Manchester, UK, Architects from Socialist Countries in Ghana (1957-1967): Architecture and Mondialization
The official launch of the new dedicated electronic journal, ABE – European Architecture beyond Europe, will take place at the conference.
For the detailed program of the conference, check www.architecturebeyond.eu